Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Statement of Cranston Mayor Allan Fung Regarding the RI State Police Assessment

Statement of Cranston Mayor Allan Fung Regarding the RI State Police Assessment

“On Thursday, I was notified that the Rhode Island State Police had completed their assessment of the Cranston Police Department, which I had requested in January of 2014.  On Friday afternoon, Assistant City Solicitor Evan Kirshenbaum and I drove to the office of State Police Colonel Stephen O’Donnell to pick up this report.  At that time, I thanked Colonel O’Donnell, Lt. Col. Barry and Captain Moynihan for their efforts on behalf of the City of Cranston and the Cranston Police.

A preliminary review of this report by City Solicitor Christopher Rawson revealed the confidential nature of much of its contents, including personally identifiable health information, confidential personnel matters, pending litigation, and investigations.  In response to these concerns, Solicitor Rawson and I delivered a copy of the assessment report to the Office of Attorney General Peter Kilmartin.  I have formally requested an advisory opinion from the Attorney General as to which contents may be appropriate for public disclosure.

My intention has always been transparency about this report and I await the opinion from the Attorney General’s office about what portions may be public.  In addition, I have called for a meeting with the City Council on Wednesday to update them and allow access to the report.”